Friday, March 19, 2010

The spaces between my fingers are right where yours fit perfectly

Dear... husband? Future spouse? Bunny-wunny? (Oh dear, I hope we don't have strange nicknames like that for each other!)

Not quite sure how to start this. It feels weird, writing to you when I don't even know who you are yet. I've now made it almost a year and a half on my vow not to date. I don't know if you're dating right now. Maybe you are, or maybe you've never dated. Maybe you're even in a serious relationship right now. Maybe you've made the same decision as me, to not date, but rather to court only when it becomes clear that something might really be there. It doesn't really matter though, because it will be your past that helps shape you into the man I will be married to.

I want you to know, the reasons I've stepped back from dating are not because I think I am better than that, or am trying to seem high and mighty. Rather, there are three main reasons.

  1. dating is for me, too large of a distraction from God at this point in my life. I'm too unsure of who I am and unstable in how to become who I should be. Engaging in frivolous activities like casual dating at this point would thus do nothing more than drag me away from God.
  2. All of my dating choices (prior to you of course) have been poor ones, resulting in me devaluing myself and sinking to levels I never would have DREAMED that I could possibly reach. See, I want to be pure for you; I want to be able to present myself to you on our wedding night spiritually and physically pure. I don't want to risk compromising that by becoming relationally or physically intimate with someone just for the sake of having intimacy (because lets face it, I'm a sucker for wanting intimacy in my life).
  3. Lastly, I want to use this time to allow God to transform me into the woman you need me to be as your wife. And with another guy in the picture, that couldn't happen because I would be trying to conform to who he wanted me to be.
I hope that this will one day be one of the things that attracts you to me; not that I am something that is 'good', but that you will have an appreciation for my desire to be a Godly woman, and for my pursuit of putting Him and His will first. That rather than chasing after guys, I'm waiting for the one who's man enough to chase me, and who's Godly enough (or at least pursuing being a man of God) to want to stand firm in the same convictions I want in a relationship.

Love always and forever,
Just a Girl, Someday a Wife

No comments: