Tuesday, March 23, 2010

And you can tell everybody that this is your song, it might be quite simple...

Hello Hubby-dearest!

So I'm trying to work on this whole keeping myself accountable thing, both to God, and to you (even though you aren't in my life yet, I figure the sooner I get practice in, the better). Mostly I'm focusing on my actions towards guys in general, but also my habits with male friends. Of course, this will also all go into practice when you and I start courting, or dating, or whatever we decide to call it (please let me call it courting, it's so much more romantic that way!!!).

I'm doing this, because I don't want to compromise myself or my purity at all, so I've been working on getting friends to call me out on actions that might be read as other intentions when I'm interacting with guys. I can't deny that the way I act with guys can often be considered flirtatious, and I don't want that to be the case. I've also HIGHLY started limiting the time I am alone with any guys, friends, strangers, whatever. I learned the hard way, that whether you intend it or not, a lot of alone time can lead to a level of intimacy that is often inappropriate for 'just friends'. It also makes it a lot harder for me not to pine after guys, especially if there is already an attraction to them.

On the one hand though, it's really made me aware of how innocently affairs can begin, and helped me to understand that especially with how easy I connect with people, this will be something that I need to be careful of. I don't doubt my commitment to you at all, nor do I think I would ever physically betray you. But one of the biggest lessons I've learned over the last year or so is that relational intimacy can cause a type of 'emotional affair' where you become more attached to a person, without fully realizing it until it's too late. I don't ever want to do that to you. Our marriage is far too precious to risk screwing up. But as someone who connects easily on an emotional level with others, it means that keeping myself appropriate is something that has to be learned, and that I have to execute caution with.

Besides that, as long as I am not putting myself in a position where I am constantly alone with other guys, it protects my image and integrity as well.

Love you always and forever;
Just a Girl, Someday a Wife

No comments: